There are many brand options for emergency contraceptive pills and they are stocked by all major pharmacy chains and available online, but be sure to call ahead to make sure that EC is available in your local pharmacy. Below is some information about how the different brands of EC are sold and how to access them for free or at a lower cost. Basic, over-the-counter EC (Levonorgestrel) can cost anywhere from free (with insurance) to $6.99-$50 (without insurance.)
- Many insurance plans (including Medicaid) will cover Emergency Contraception at NO COST to you. You just need a prescription. You can contact your local health department or local Planned Parenthood to get more information. There are also many online pharmacies that can get the prescription you need. Some examples are NURX, WISP, GoodRx, and many more. Many online retailers have the option to directly ship or call your prescription into your local pharmacy. *
- Progestin-only EC (like Plan B One-Step and its generic forms like Take Action, Next Choice One Dose and My Way) are approved for unrestricted sale on store shelves and online. Anyone can buy it without needing to show ID. Plan B One-Step usually costs about $50, and the generics cost between $6.99 and $40.
- You can order a generic form of Plan B One-Step at www.afterpill.com for $20 + $5 shipping. This site does not offer expedited shipping, so it's not meant for emergency use, but you can stock up and keep it on hand for future use.*
- You can order bulk EC or individual boxes of EC on Amazon for $6.99 or up to $50 (but seriously, it all works the same.)*
- If you have access to Walmart, they carry EC for less than $11. At the pharmacy, ask for MYChoice EC or generic, Levonorgestrel EC. Learn more about Emergency Contraceptive access and low-cost options below.*
Ella is sold by prescription only, regardless of age. You can also order Ella online at KwikMed or prjktruby for $67, including next-day shipping.*
* WHO/O is not endorsing any specific retail outlets or online retailers, this is for informational purposes only.