Most emergency contraceptives use the same ingredient as most birth controls pills—just at a higher dose—to help prevent pregnancy before it starts.
While there are many brands, the one we are currently carrying is Preventeza™.
Preventeza™ / Levonorgestrel Tablet, 1.5 mg is one tablet with levonorgestrel, a hormone that has been used in many birth control pills for several decades. Levonorgestrel Tablet, 1.5 mg contains a higher dose of levonorgestrel than birth control pills, but works in a similar way to prevent pregnancy. It works mainly by stopping the release of an egg from the ovary. It is possible that Levonorgestrel Tablet, 1.5 mg may also work by preventing fertilization of an egg (the uniting of sperm with the egg) or by preventing attachment (implantation) to the uterus (womb).
- Contains 1.5 mg of Levonorgestrel
- Use as directed within 72 hours of unprotected sex
- Works mainly by stopping the release of an egg from the ovary. May also prevent fertilization of an egg or prevent a fertilized egg from being attached to the uterus
- Not for regular birth control
- Does NOT protect against sexually transmitted infections
Was this helpful?